New release from Cubelogic: cl_debug 1.0. cl_debug is a minimal C API for logging and “printf debugging”. Its main reason to exist it’s to be light weight, usable with minimal requirements and easily configurable.
This library of macros was originally born during the development of SimpleTimer (i.e. 3 years ago), but at that time I wasn’t really thinking to make it as a separate library. I just threw together the simplest possible printf macros to ease my debugging efforts. I wanted something that I could just “turn off” whenever I was ready to have a release build, and since I am a picky eater, “turned off” meant (and means) “no additional overhead”. (Although I understand it’s nice to have a runtime configurable debug log sometimes.) Then I kept reusing, refining and expanding those macros, always keeping the API tiny.
cl_debug has served me well so far. I find it expecially useful in conditions where normal (some might say “more evolved”) debugging tools are not available or not effective. Sometimes, “printf debugging” is the most reliable, efficient, always available debugging tool.
So, check it out!
I just released SimpleTimer v1.2. It’s a Universal Binary, so it should run on Intel-based Macs. However, Intel compatibility was not tested at all.
Overall, version 1.2 features minor changes: most noticeably, I streamlined the main UI removing the redundant “warning” feature.
I fixed a bug on my Perl scripts that prevented correct parsing of old Mac style line endings (“\r”). New versions are available here:
However, I discovered 2 (two) additional bugs in the process!
Version 1.1 of my Cocoa NSCoding methods generator scripts have been released. There was a bug related to the BOOL data type. New versions are available at this page.
Simplefind v0.2b is available. The latest version adds regular expressions file-name matching. The user can add the filename constraint just like the other constraints. I think it’s really much easier to use than the classic “find”, but of course is much less powerful. It seems to work quite well, but it was not tested thoroughly. I should update my makefile to properly install it on the host system, but I haven’t done it yet. No time.
Simplefind is no longer available. It was an unfinished project that I don’t plan to complete.
I released a new version of SimpleTimer a few minutes ago. About the un-dismissable alert bug: I am not able to reproduce it anymore with this latest fix. Nevertheless, since this bug is not easily trackable I’d like to conduct more testing: therefore, I am releasing this version as a beta. Whoever is interested in doing some testing should contact me at support at cubelogic dot org.
Rarely, when a timer ends and opens an alert box, it happens that the alert box is not dismissed. Currently, to get rid of the alert box, one has to close and restart SimpleTimer. Anyway, this won’t affect other applications and also SimpleTimer will continue to run fine, just as if the alert box was closed.
I am currently unable to reproduce the bug, so it’s quite hard to work on it. If anyone is able to spot this annoying bug, please send a bug report. Please included a full description of the circumstances under which it happened (how many timers were open, how many were active/running, what were you doing before it happened, etc.). Please also include the Console log, available thru the Console application (to find it, go to the “Applications” folder, and then the “Utilities” folder: here double-click on “Console”). Once Console.app is open, select the “console.log” and copy the lines related to SimpleTimer in the bug report.
Hopefully this bug will be fixed in the next version!
Thanks to the help of Mr. Claude R., SimpleTimer will soon have a French localization. I’m pretty excited and honored about the interest. I’m currently cleaning up my code, putting *all* localizable messages in separate
.strings files. Admittedly, this is kind of a tedious job, but on the plus side it’s giving me the chance to make my code look nicer and easier to read. Oh yes, I also spotted a couple of bugs.
I posted some Perl scripts to the web site. I use them all the time whilst coding in Objective-C. I find them much faster than compiled application services like Accessor Generator. Also, I like the fact my scripts don’t waste any resources whatsoever when they are not used.
SimpleTimer 1.0 is finally out. Also, yesterday I finally completed the redesign of the web site, which made me think on the fact that I should make something to replace my current HTML editor, which is kind of old. Maybe I should extend Smultron, which is pretty nice, clean and Free.