You can tell that cuil sucks just by looking at its home page. There are so many wrong things about it.
1. It’s black. I think a black background for a search engine is horribly wrong. Search is about bringing things to light, not the opposite.
2. The search box is in the lower half of the screen.
3. cuil, the name. Are you serious?
4. Why do I care about how many pages you search? I don’t know how many are out there. Plus, I want to search them all anyway. I just want meaningful results. Which cuil don’t bring.
5. Fuck, the search box is not even centered.
6. The overall impression is that they want to look cool, not actually solve problems.
7. I don’t know why, but I can’t even think about my search in such a home page… my mind just goes into a halt.